10.18.2010

Maybe Red Is It?


Such interesting feedback about my wedding-dress options! I was leaning towards the belly-button-as-missile dress, but that has come out as one of the last popular options. I also liked the Forever 21 hoochie dress, but was given pause to consider the appropriateness of shopping there when not only am I no longer 21, I am no longer even in my early 30's.

(Though if we could have a moment on that topic - yes, they are called 'Forever' 21, but now they carry maternity clothes. And so does H+M. And while certainly 21 year olds do get pregnant and do need to be clothed during that time, I think we've just been handed a little insight into the actual market the honchos of Forever 21 are after - it's us, people. Those women who have just looked around and realized 'DAMN! Am I not 21 anymore? Is that the Land's End catalog I hear, calling my name? What is this new and scary land I'm in?' Actual twenty-one year olds don't need a place to shop called 'Forever 21,' because yo...they know they're forever 21. It's the rest of us who are already in on the joke.)

Rant over. I paused, and have decided I feel fine shopping at Forever 21. No one gets to stay there forever, least of all twenty-one-year-olds. So enjoy it, kiddos...your time will come.

OK, my sister sent me one more dress to consider:


It's from Target, and gets bad reviews on the website. But I only have to wear it once, and it looks like it might do justice to my (momentarily) enormous breasts. They should get their moment in the sun, don't you think, before being exposed to the world five times a day as feedbags?

I really hear you, lovely commenters, on the dearth of interesting and fancy maternity clothes. It's pretty depressing out there, unless you go to A Pea in the Pod and spend a million dollars for something designed by Heidi Klum's minions and clearly modeled by someone who conceived last night. I would have thought the extreme interest in celebrity pregnancy might have spurred the cheap(er) places to step up their game a little, but perhaps the purchase power of the less famous pregnant people is not extending into the realm of evening-wear. After all, this is my third pregnancy and only the first time I've had cause to shuck my elastic-banded jeans and sweaters.

Thoughts on the new option? Or, on shopping at a place called Forever 21?


5 comments:

  1. chel or ali has found a dress far better than any of the other options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, just for kicks how about try an A-line dress, not maternity just BIG and short, I mean your legs go on for miles sweety and belt it either, above or below the bump, you decide which feels and looks better. Bet you'd wear it again afterwards, like the loving T I sent down your way when pregnant with Lily. Babe I still see you wearing that one to the market!! And the dress with your great legs will look just as cute post baby, with boots and a belt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn....I was wearing that T-shirt yesterday, and the day before :)

    How did I not think of making YOU dress me for this, Marisa? But do you really think I could wear a non-maternity dress at 8 months pregnant?!

    ReplyDelete