10.07.2010

The Wedding Dilemma


So, I get to go to a wedding this winter, which in and of itself is fine. Fun, even.

However, at THIS wedding I will be about 27 months pregnant, or at least that is how I will look.

I've never had to dress up for a fancy occasion when pregnant, so I'm scouring my options and want to know what you think. Just so you have all the info, 1) it's a black-tie wedding, 2) it's on New Year's Eve, 3) my husband is the best man, so 4) I will be solo with both my kids for a chunk of it, and 5) I'm not spending a bushel on a one-night stand, which cuts out most of the really nice options.

Option#1:


Forever 21's new maternity section (which, as an aside, apparently can't be found in any stores near me) has this one dress which might be too casual on top/too short on the bottom. There will be family there, and showing your moneymaker to family while pregnant might be a pretty serious no-no. Otherwise, I like the way it hangs and I think it might be the closest to my style in the bunch. Middle of winter, though?


Option#2:


From the Pea in a Pod family, whatever the super downmarket version is (Motherhood?). I...like it. But not much. It looks a bit stiff, you know? But that might just be the model. It does have a pretty neckline, and is probably the most winter-appropriate fabric. This would, I think, be a very safe option.


Option#3:


This is from the Gap, not a place I've spent much time of late. Again, I...like it. Could the ruffly bits be a bit matronly? (Here is the definition: ma·tron·ly/ˈmātrənlē/Adjective: Like or characteristic of a matron, esp. in being dignified and staid and typically associated with having a large or plump build). One of my favorite things to do when pregnant is to try desperately to pretend am not that which I clearly am, i.e. matronly. OK, say the ruffles aren't matronly. Then I think I would really like the form-fitting without being form-cinching shape of it. It looks as if it would skim my bod nicely, and I could probably dance and sit without showing my undies. But will I look like I got lost on my way to a business meeting?


Option #4:


Last option, also from the Gap. These are probably nicely made, and when they say silk they probably mean it (unlike Forever 21). This one also hangs well, is a good length, nice color, blah blah. It's a style I like better than the previous one, and looks less like a work dress...though I'm not sure it looks like a black-tie-wedding dress, either. Also, I'm slightly disturbed, knowing what I do about post-photo editing, that I can see her bellybutton so clearly. If I can see hers that well in that dress, mine will look like a low-slung missile about to attack anyone who walks by.

OK, that's what I've found so far. Thoughts? Suggestions? Votes?






4 comments:

  1. None of them seem very winter-y or exceptional to me. Grrr for maternity clothes! #1 is definitely out because people over 19 aren't allowed to shop at Forever 21. If you had to choose from one of them, I'd go with #4 with a cool statement piece necklace/tights/shoes/bag. Ann Taylor now carries maternity. Quite corner office, but you might find some nice, sophisticated basics to jazz up. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am with Q Star on this... i find it disturbing that Forever 21 even carries maternity clothes given its demographic.

    The 3rd and 4th ones are the best of the 4 posted (i like the 3rd one best but would remove that tie thing at the top -- adding some fancy sparkles would dress it up nicely). that being said - there has to be something better out there (says the girl who has never had to deal with such matters).

    as a side note - do you look good in gray in the winter? given the familial similarity i am just going to point out that i look like death in most shades of gray during the winter - especially those that are dark without being almost black (since after all they are then almost black and we of course look nice in that) while when i am less transparent (e.g. my preferred state of tanned skin) i can look nice in almost all gray shades...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree. . .while it IS odd that Forever 21 carries maternity wear, i think it is the best of the 4 options. Stylish, and could be dressed up with jewelry, shoes etc. Also, maybe the length won't be as much of an issue if you wear it with black tights??? I think option #3 is VERY matronly and should be avoided! If I had to pick a second option, I would go with #4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh....lots to consider. Becca (my cousin) is totally right about the gray situation, and you won't be shocked to hear my tan has disappeared about as fast as my waistline. Black or a bright color would be better, though I'm having a hard time finding anything but shades of gray. It's clearly going to be all about the accessories, since none of these dresses is really all that. And really - where are all the good dresses?! Jess

    ReplyDelete