9.09.2010

Women We Love


What makes someone you notice...noticeable? Sometimes it’s the clothes, the look, the hotness, the dog, whatever. But the more we do this the more it seems that there is an intangible there that goes beyond the specifics; something in the attitude and the confidence and the riskiness of a truly stylish person, someone for whom their style is a second, and fabulous, skin.





Justine is a notice-able, which is why she’s one of the Women We Love. Born in England to British parents, oldest of three, married to an artist, mother of two, with a delicate, colorful and detailed style that runs through her closet and her home. She wears the same large silver hoop earrings every day, along with a shiny mess of silver bangles she’s collected since childhood. She loves robes, and necklaces, and a bargain: she finds her goods at discounters, sales, consignment, or thrift stores...little, if any, retail.





She is quiet and reserved, but her clothes are swirling and unusual - she wears bright patterns and heavy-metal necklaces and short shorts and strappy pink prom heels. Her jewelry and other accoutrements follow along; they are bold pieces that look like art on her walls and shelves and neck and wrists. Her stylishness - really, her self - is reflected everywhere you look.


Meet Justine:





What are you thinking about as you get dressed?





What can I wear that's comfortable today?!


Comfort varies each day, depending on the monthly bloat (!), the activities of the night before (!) or the mood-of-the day (!), but since I buy clothes that I like, that have varying degrees of "comfiness," and are somewhat "stylish," as long as I select something that fits that morning's whim, I'm good to go.





How would you describe your style?







Simply stated: colorful, flattering, mixed genres.





How has your style changed over the years (as you've gotten older, changed jobs, had children)?





As a teenager, it was skimpy and tight. . . (Shudder to think of that, now!)

As an adult, it was sophisticated and contemporary.

Now, as a woman in her "prime" (ha!) with two small children, I'm more confident in what I wear, more willing to try different styles. I can wear clothes and not worry about my image so much...I can be who I want to be, and that may change from day-to-day.

But I know that ultimately, I'm "more" than my clothes. That sounds cliche, but I'm much happier at this stage in my life doing what I'm doing, and I don't worry about things so much. I enjoy looking for clothes that represent different sides of myself, whether it's found in a big department store, a vintage clothes storeor a thrift store. I like the hunt and surprise myself sometimes with what I find. It feels more fun now.





Why is style important to you?





I like to feel good in what I'm wearing, and I like to present myself in a positive way to the world.






No comments:

Post a Comment