7.12.2010

Trying it on the Cheap


Does everyone remember a few months ago when we braved the, umm...older section of Nordstrom's to see what we could find about "Not Your Daughter's Jeans?" And we were pleasantly surprised by them, though slightly disturbed by both the demographic and price range we were entering.

Naturally, our next stop on this investigation was Target, home of clothes that are the great equalizer - essentially the same designs, shapes, colors, and prices from toddler to "mature." We were there specifically to try on their "Fit Solutions" Slimming Style, with Tummy Control Panel. Seemed by description to be the aiming for the same ballpark as the NYDJeans, but with the lovely price tag of $29.99.


Well. Really, as with most things at Target (and you all know I LOVE me some Target), these jeans are fine. They are nothing more, and nothing less. They don't look bad, but they don't look great. They "control" a bit, but not much. They are totally worth the price, and not a penny more. I can imagine wearing them very occasionally, and bitching about how much they've stretched and how high the waist is.


This is, perhaps, part of a larger discussion we should have about the endlessly complicated issue of quality versus quantity. And again, you know that I fall (honestly, by upbringing) on spending less and buying more. Hence, my drawers are filled with semi-lame jeans and shirts and skirts and shorts like these, that sort of fit and are sort of what I was looking for, but were cheap enough that I figured it was worth it. In the end I've no doubt spent enough on jeans that I don't like to have bought one of those wonderful, fitted-glove-like expensive pair of jeans from some fabulous brand they sell in the appropriate department of Nordstroms.

But I'm simply a sucker for all the cheap crap at Target. Is that so American of me?


(Once it isn't so hot in my bedroom, I'm going to clean out my drawers and closet, and I'm going to be ruthless. I'll show you some pictures.)

But back to the point. I think these jeans are totally fine, and I can't say anything more or less about them. If you want jeans to do an OK job of pulling you in and smoothing you out, get these. Buy one size down. Don't expect a ton. Plan to buy more jeans in the next few months.


3 comments:

  1. I accidentally picked up a pair of some sort of slimmy jeans at TJ Maxx a few weeks ago for $19. The thing that threw me off is that they are Bill Blass. Doesn't he make, like, shoes for dead old white guys or something?

    But they are cute! I have gotten complimented on them a LOT, and trust me - nobody *ever* compliments me on my clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who needs another pair of jeans when you have the option to wear a jean romper? It looks great on you, by the way, so go back and buy it immediately (if you haven't already)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, bought it that day! Haven't worn it yet...but I'm sure the moment is near :)

    ReplyDelete