7.05.2010

If You Show Me Yours...by Kim

(So you don't get bored of us, every week we post something sent to us by a reader or coerced out of friends and family. Could be a question, a letter, a poll, a picture...we're flexible. See below for this week's If You Show Me Yours post, and see the sidebar for info about how to participate!)
_______________________________________________


Sex and the City and Me


OK. So you get the call...the phone call you have only joked about getting amongst your girlfriends. Butterflies start to flutter in your stomach. It's the phone call that makes you wish you had worked out in the last month...even the last year! The call that solidifies you shouldn't have had that pint of Ben and Jerry's the night before, despite your argument of major PMS. You are a stay at home mom of three, getting invited to the world premiere of Sex and the City 2 with less than 24 hours notice!


And then real panic sets in...what do I wear to a red carpet event!? So with less than 24 hours notice, I call upon my friends, of course. My friend Marisa (who happens to be a personal shopper and a stylist) is the first person I turn to, because I know she can transform me on such short notice. Plus, her closet is fabulous and we had no time to shop! Then we called Denise, who not only has a sick sense of style herself but is also a brilliant photographer to boot.

Did I mention we have 9 kids between us all?

Here we are playing dress up on the morning of the big premirere of SATC2 which, ironically, is all about the importance of girlfriends. And let me tell you, I couldnt have done it with out my girls! Here we go....


Outfit #1

In this outfit I truly felt like I was playing dress up. Marisa actually wears this when impersonating the "sock fairy" for occasions like Halloween. It was so comfortable, but a little to much dress up for me (though I did love the shoes!)


Outfit #2

Pretty in white. Struggled with the question of whether boots were appropriate for a red carpet event, and what would Carrie Bradshaw do? was always in the back of my mind (as if she would be looking at me and only me)!


Outfit #3

I am woman, hear me roar! Very sophisticated and feeling a little geisha-like with the wide belt around the waist. Accessories were to die for. The only negative for me was that it felt like an outfit I should wear to an art gallery opening, and it felt very heavy for a hot, almost-summer night in NYC.


Outfit #4

White and fabulous. Marisa put this one on me and I felt like the perfect combination of me (kinda hippie ) and somebody who could hold their own at such an event. In this outfit, I felt like my free-spirit attitude was
exposed, but with a dose of sophistication. And, check out the feather in the hair and the accessories!






Dressed to kill, thanks to my girlfriends, hair and makeup done on my own. For one glamorous night, I didn't feel like somebody's mother, I felt glamorous and confident in a different way than what motherhood usually brings. And, if SJP saw me she would approve!



I got to go to Radio City Music Hall for the very first time, and I watched a movie that most critics hated but I enjoyed, because really, this night wasn't about the movie. It was about proving to myself that I could live outside my comfort zone with only a few blisters from my fabulous shoes, but that's a sacrifice we make for fashion and, ultimately, for time well spent with your favorite girlfriends! So when the time comes and you get the call to whatever your red carpet event will be....take a deep breath. And call upon friends.


4 comments:

  1. Loved this post. Kim, you look fab! -- Heide

    ReplyDelete
  2. U look amazing!!! Great job on this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that white! Just gorgeous! I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I am so excited to find you, wow, just right up my alley. Happy to be your newest follower! XO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You belong on the red carpet Kim! You look fabulous and I love your blog! There is nothing like the gift of friendship! L-Jodi

    ReplyDelete